Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Incomplete Project Essay

Many of your projects are based on good ideas that y0u may not have had the resources or time to accomplish. If you feel that you are not going to be able to accomplish your project before the end of the marking period, you must write a brief 1 - 2 page essay summarizing all the steps you have taken so far and what steps remain for you to complete your project.

The essay is not a formal research paper. It is a process essay based on your initial project question. For example, Kimani Reid asked "How can I make an animation?" His project has been about creating a flash animation. Go back to your project idea and formulate your essay around your project idea as a question. "How can I make a video about Brooklyn Prep?" "How can I make a documentary about teen pregnancy?"

The essay should attempt to show all the steps you have undertaken so far to complete your project. Additionally, you should try and address the following questions. They can be used as an outline to help structure your essay:
  • What's the question or issue?
  • What's my viewpoint and why?
  • What's my evidence?
  • How does this connect to my own experience?
  • Why is this important?
  • Have I incorporated individuality and creativity in my work?
  • What are different possibilities or solutions for the issue I am addressing?
  • Have I experimented or taken a risk?
  • Does my work reflection organization, and cooperation with others?
This essay is primarily for students will will not have any finished product to reflect their efforts this semester. It can also be used to support partially finished projects and/or strengthen grades on projects. If your project is strong and you feel it reflects your commitment this semester, please put all your effort into finishing the project for your portfolio.

Post a comment in response to the alternative assignment whether you feel you will need to write the essay to help pass the course or whether you feel you can finish your project by the June 13th final deadline.

1 comment:

T@NONY@ said...

I think that I will be doing the essay because I don't have my video done yet. I feel that it could of gotten done but the people that I have pick to be in my video are not either ready or was not here. So I feel that doing an essay would help me get my grade because I don't think that if I still think about doing the video that it would be done in time so I feel that I should do th essay.Which makes its good that you made up a idea like this because it will give the students a chance to think about what they want to do. Exspecially if they feel that they are going to fail the class and feel that by doing the essay that will help them pass.